- PM Dimitriev visits confectionery plant in Sveti Nikole
- Neighbors’ meddling in Macedonian internal affairs should be condemned, says Ivanov
- Culture Ministry to support sixty-nine creative industries projects this year
- Macedonian population grows by 324 in last quarter of 2016
- With Dutch support, Macedonian Cadastre will introduce 3D mapping
- VMRO-DPMNE responds to members of European Parliament who objected to calling out of NGO groups
- Gjorgi Rizov’s art exhibition opens in Netherlands
- Suicide attack in Al Bab kills at least 42 people
- Chemical weapon VX nerve agent killed N.Korean leader’s half brother: Malaysian police
- President Ivanov will meet with Briitsh State Minister Duncan
Three people were killed and more than 10 were wounded on Tuesday after the roof of a tent collapsed on to a mass attending a funeral ceremony at a mosque in Istanbul’s Bakirkoy district, Hurriyet Daily News reports.
A group of people were in a funeral prayer in the quad of the 5 Kısım Mosque in the Atakoy neighborhood when the tent’s roof collapsed after being pressured by thick snow and striking storm.
The wounded were immediately taken to nearby hospitals while firefighters and rescue teams rushed to the scene to rescue those trapped under the roof.
A witness told Dogan News Agency that they had been warned of a possible collapse. He said the roof collapsed in an instant and created panic among the people.
Another witness said he survived the collapse within seconds after stepping out of the area, adding that the collapse created a huge noise.
Bulent Kerimoglu, the mayor of Bakirkoy, has also said municipality teams had arrived at the mosque earlier during the day and warned of a potential collapse after observing that the roof of the tent was overfilled with snow.
Over the past four days, Istanbul was on hold amid heavy snowfall in what Istanbul Mayor Kadir Topbas described as the heaviest since 2009.