- ‘Russian Duma set to ratify Turkish Stream agreement
- Clear and cold day, with lots of snow remaining on the ground
- Coach Cervar ecstatic after Macedonia draws with Iceland
- Donald Trump set to be inaugurated as President of the United States
- VMRO-DPMNE blasts Janeva for her decision to drop charges against Zaev and Verushevski
- How Soros came to Macedonia, as seen by The New Yorker
- Up to 30 feared dead in avalanche-hit hotel in central Italy
- Ohrid premiere of stage rendition of Petre M. Andreevski’s poem
- Orthodox faithful celebrate Epiphany
- US publicly funded media outlet disparage against Trump and his voters mere days before his inauguration
Three people were killed and more than 10 were wounded on Tuesday after the roof of a tent collapsed on to a mass attending a funeral ceremony at a mosque in Istanbul’s Bakirkoy district, Hurriyet Daily News reports.
A group of people were in a funeral prayer in the quad of the 5 Kısım Mosque in the Atakoy neighborhood when the tent’s roof collapsed after being pressured by thick snow and striking storm.
The wounded were immediately taken to nearby hospitals while firefighters and rescue teams rushed to the scene to rescue those trapped under the roof.
A witness told Dogan News Agency that they had been warned of a possible collapse. He said the roof collapsed in an instant and created panic among the people.
Another witness said he survived the collapse within seconds after stepping out of the area, adding that the collapse created a huge noise.
Bulent Kerimoglu, the mayor of Bakirkoy, has also said municipality teams had arrived at the mosque earlier during the day and warned of a potential collapse after observing that the roof of the tent was overfilled with snow.
Over the past four days, Istanbul was on hold amid heavy snowfall in what Istanbul Mayor Kadir Topbas described as the heaviest since 2009.